Monday, August 23, 2010

Maternity waiting room

My husband and I were sitting on the couch a few weeks ago.  I noticed how much food he was eating and how much he loved his cookies.  We were going back and forth with explanations for the changes in his eating habits.  I said to him, " I think you're pregnant". He wasn't that impressed with my assessment.  I said "you're giving birth to a new you".

As I thought about this later, I realized that maybe I was spot on.  Riverwalker press, one of the blogs I follow from time to time talked about this process.  The holding of tension as we patiently and actively wait for the changes in our lives to unfold and make manifest.  I view this process from the standpoint of having been pregnant and waiting through the months of my pregnancy in anticipation of the birth of my children.  I waited and it was anything but passive.  There were things to do while I waited.  I had to eat right, get lots of rest, drink water, make sure I had crackers for the upset stomachs.  As the pregnancy progressed, I had doctor appointments, ultrasounds, blood tests. As I got closer still to their births there were other things that needed to be done.  I bought a crib, bassinet, baby clothes, bottles.  I had a baby shower and my family participated in the preparation.


I can apply this process to anything that I'm working on.  Never once in my pregnancies with my children did I say, "I'm dreaming too big, this will never work", I never once doubted that my baby would be healthy even with my son the premie.  The vision in my mind was always of me holding them and of us doing things together.  I used to talk to my growing belly and tell them how much they were loved and wanted. What if we did the same with our dreams, our goals?  What if we held the vision of the outcome as a family does as they are expecting a child?  What if we never waiver and we stay committed?  I think that's what the process of manifesting is all about.  Declaring what we want to manifest and holding the vision of that outcome and nothing else.  What if we collect evidence of our successes instead of our failures?  What if we promise ourselves that if we do fail, we fail forward?  What if the birth of  the truest version of ourselves is really what life is all about?

I'm going to go and hang out in the maternity waiting room of my next birth. I'm going to remember to be expectant, to be excited, to do the things I need to do to be prepared.  I'm going to practice what it'll feel like when I finally give birth and I'm holding my precious manifestation in my hands.  I'm going to remember who I really am and what I'm really made of.

1 comment:

  1. there is a beauty in the pregnancy that waits lovingly for a newborn. We must await patiently but eagerly, dreaming big, preparing to receive and preparing to give.

    ReplyDelete